When using the services offered to you, any data provided by you may be processed by us. Van Haren Publishing is responsible for processing your personal data within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
Van Haren Publishing attaches great importance to the protection of privacy of its subscribers, customers, and visitors to its website(s). We therefore treat and secure the personal data of members, subscribers, customers, and website visitors with the utmost care possible. This is why we also carefully comply with the relevant legislation in this area, including the GDPR and the Telecommunications Act (“Tw”). We do so by checking, together with our legal partners, whether our services meet the requirements, both in terms of data security and compliance with data protection legislation.
Below, we explain which data is being asked for and how it will be used. We also let you know what your rights are, who has access to the data, and how long we will keep your data.
Our details are:
Van Haren Publishing B.V.
5211 VW ‘s-Hertogenbosch
Tel: +31 (0)73 73 70 224
VAT/ICP NL 8180.09.433.B01
2. For what purposes do we collect your data and what data is it exactly?
We collect and process your personal data for example for the performance of our services and to bring those services to your attention and to keep you informed about them.
The data provided by you may be specifically recorded and processed by Van Haren Publishing for the following purposes:
- To be able to create an account for you. For this purpose, we will process your first name, surname and e-mail address. If you create an account with us, we will not need to ask you for your details repeatedly. This ensures the shopping experience in our webshop is more pleasant. Your password is stored and encrypted, so we will not be able to retrieve it;
- To place your order. For this purpose, we need to be able to process your IP address, first name, last name and e-mail address. If you order an e-book, we will create a license code for you. You will find your license code in your account. If you have ordered a book in hard copy, your details will be passed on to Managementboek (to be found via www.managementboek.nl);
- In order to be able to deliver the products ordered to you and to keep you informed of the delivery process. For this purpose, we will process your first name, surname, e-mail address, telephone number, and address details;
- In order to be able to invoice you. Your payments are made via the payment providers Igenico ePayments, PayPal and PaySquare. If you pay with iDeal, your details, including your account number, are stored in our records to link the payment to your order. If you pay by credit card, we cannot see your card number and CVC code. Your first name, surname, address details, invoice number, order number, and customer number are also listed on our invoice;
- In order to be able to return the product. For this purpose, we process your first name, surname, e-mail address, telephone number, address details, and order number;
- For contacting our customer service. We use an external telephone operator (grocery service). In order to process your question, the telephone operator will provide us with the following information about you: your order number/invoice number, name, email address, telephone number etc. We will use this information to help you as quickly as possible;
- To visit our website. If you use our website, information is automatically collected from you via cookies, including your IP address. Pleases refer to our cookie statement for more information about the cookies that are placed on your device and which data is collected via the cookies;
- For sending our newsletter and other relevant emails. You will receive e-mails from us as soon as you have placed an order. These emails will keep you informed of the progress of your order. In addition, you can subscribe to our newsletter. You will only receive our newsletter if there is we have a customer relationship with you, or if you have subscribed to our newsletter. When you have ordered a book in hard copy, your details will be passed on to Managementboek. In this case you can also receive e-mails about your order from Managementboek;
- To request teacher material. Teachers or lecturers can request an ebook free of charge as a teacher’s copy from Van Haren Publishing. This only applies to publications by Van Haren Publishing. To be able to check whether you are a lecturer, we ask you to follow us via LinkedIn. We will also process your first name, surname, e-mail address, telephone number and details of your educational institution for this purpose. In response to this request, you can also receive e-mails from us;
- To keep you informed of our special offers and any other relevant and related (to your purchase) information. For this purpose, we will process your name, telephone number and e-mail address;
- To bring our social media channels to your attention. To promote our social media channels, we have included so-called social media buttons on our website. These buttons are used to place cookies on your device. In addition, we use the so-called Facebook pixel. Please refer to our cookie statement for more information about the cookies that are placed on your device;
- To make your experience on our website as pleasant as possible;
- To comply with the laws and regulations that apply to us.
3. On what legal grounds do we base data processing?
- The data processing is necessary for the agreement’s performance between you and Van Haren Publishing (article 6 sub b GDPR). We process a large part of the personal data that we collect from you because the processing of this data is necessary for to complete your (online) order. This personal data is then necessary, for example, to send the products to you and to receive payment(s) for them.
- The data processing is necessary to comply with a statutory obligation of Van Haren Publishing (article 6 sub c AVG). There are various laws that Van Haren Publishing, as a web merchant, will have to comply with. These include the Distance Selling Act, the Electronic Hands Act and the Dutch Civil Code. According to these regulations we are obliged to process specific personal data about you. We may also be obliged to provide your details to third parties (e.g. in the event of fraud).
- The data processing is necessary to safeguard the legitimate interests of Van Haren Publishing (article 6 sub f AVG). We would like to offer you the best possible service. To be able to do this, we will need to process your personal data. For example, when sending e-mails and the newsletter, creating an account, visiting our website and promoting our social media channels. In doing so, we will always take your privacy interests into account and store your data as anonymously as possible.
- You have given your express consent to the data processing (Article 6 under a AVG). In all other respects, we will only use your data with your express consent. For example, when we send you newsletters.
1. How long do we retain your data?
We will not retain your personal data longer than necessary for the purpose for which you have provided the data. We will then delete any data that can be traced back to you. Anonymized data may be stored for an extended period of time.
Under article 52 of the General Law on State Taxes, we are obliged to keep our sales records, which may also contain your personal data, for 7 years. At any time, you can request (free of charge) access to the data that Van Haren Publishing processes about you and have them corrected, removed or transferred by sending a request to email@example.com.
We value your privacy and ensure that your details are treated confidentially and with the utmost care. Therefore, we have taken appropriate technical and organisational security measures against loss, theft or otherwise unlawful processing of this data. Among other things, we have taken the following measures:
- Van Haren Publishing uses the HTTPS protocol to enable data exchange between your device and our servers. When using HTTPS, the data is encrypted in such a way that it should be impossible for an outsider to know what data is being sent;
- Van Haren Publishing uses Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) certificates to secure our network connection. Data sent to our servers is encrypted making it impossible for outsiders to view this data.
6. Who has access to your data?
Van Haren Publishing has access to your data. Van Haren Publishing treats all personal data of subscribers and customers confidentially. We never sell your data to third parties. We only provide this personal data to the following parties:
- Public authorities, if a legal requirement so requires;
- Payment partners, this is required in order to be able to invoice;
- Delivery Partners, this is required in order to deliver the products you have ordered;
- Management Book, if they handle the order;
- IT supplier, in order to make our services as secure as possible;
- Marketing agency, as soon as we want to show you targeted advertisements;
- Legal partners, if necessary to conduct legal proceedings;
- Accountants, if this is necessary for carrying out an audit;
- Other processors we engage to assist us;
- Other third parties, after written consent from you.
The parties who gain access to your data from Van Haren Publishing may only use this data to provide you with a service on our behalf unless these parties are themselves responsible for processing your data. The latter applies, for example, to our legal partners.
7. What are your rights with regard to data processing by Van Haren Publishing?
Access, correction, and deletion of your data
At any time, you can request (free of charge) inspection of the data that Van Haren Publishing processes about you and have them corrected or removed by sending a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to verify your identity, Van Haren Publishing may ask you to enclose a copy of your proof of identity in which your BSN and passport photo have been made invisible. Please note that your BSN can be found in several places on your proof of identity. In response to this request for inspection, you may request Van Haren Publishing to correct or remove your personal details.
Complaint to the Personal Data Authority
Are you of the unforeseen opinion that we do not handle your personal data carefully? Then you can contact us via the contact details above. In addition, you have the right to submit a complaint to the Personal Data Authority (“AP”).
Objection to the processing of your personal data
It is possible to object to the processing of your personal data by Van Haren Publishing if your personal data are used for purposes other than those necessary for the performance of an agreement or are required to comply with a legal obligation. For example, you can object to the use of your personal data for marketing and sales activities via e-mail or telephone. You can do this by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. Should you object to the processing of your personal data that is necessary for the performance of our work, we consider it important to state that without your personal data it will not be possible to offer our services to you.
Right to data transfer
In addition, you have the so-called right to data transfer. Meaning you have the right to obtain the personal data relating to you that you have provided to Van Haren Publishing in a well-organised form. For this purpose, you can also send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.